Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday Traditions - Nativity Advent Calendar




I am really excited about Christmas this year!  Sister is old enough to really understand Christmas traditions now and I don't think anyone loves this time of year in our little family more than she does! 


While both Big Daddy and I had Christmas traditions growing up, we wanted to start a couple of new ones for us.  And, we wanted those traditions to teach a little something about the real meaning of Christmas.





A couple of years ago, I ordered a Nativity Advent Calendar that I just love!  Since we're out of town, I don't have up close pics of it yet, but will add them later.


Each date pocket holds a "character" from the nativity story.  There are angels, wisemen, kings, shepherds, animals and of course Baby Jesus.  Each day, we wake up and Sister picks a pocket and adds it to the "story."  I also put a little treat in the pocket too, like a chocolate kiss or sticker. 


The only rule we have is that Baby Jesus has to go in #25 and in the manger.  I'm sure you're thinking ... duh, but things can get really interesting with a preschooler!


One thing we love about this advent calendar is that it opens up a chance for us to talk daily about the true meaning of Christmas.  So sweet!  It reminds us big kids of the story, too!  There are several options on the internet for ordering, but you can find the one pictured above here.


One of our other traditions is reading Christmas books during the holiday for bedtime. There are so many cute ones!!! Here's one of our favorites.


                             


This is the sweetest book!  Little Cub asks his Mama "Who invented Christmas?" Little Cub asks more and more and more questions like little ones do.  And, this leads Mama to talk about God versus Santa and how Jesus is the best present of all.  Love this story!  You can find it here.


I love getting new ideas, so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's posts about their own traditions!    Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. I love that calendar idea. I can't wait to do it with my daughter, but may have to wait until next year to start... She's only 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea about the treat!! I need to do that with my little girl! Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the nativity calendar and I will have to get that book! Cute traditions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my misadventures! I would love for you to drop me a line. Reading your comments is so much fun!