Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Southern Gardener's Diary

I don't know about you, but I'm longing for Spring.  We've had the coldest winter here in nearly 20 years.  And, this Southern girl is ready for wamer weather!

I'm itching to get outside and start working in the yard.  I love to garden, but I'm definitely a novice.  I have so much to learn!  But, isn't that the fun of it?


Our yard is a mess right now showing the bruises of a harsh winter.  What looks like sticks hopefully will recover and bring back some of my favorites.


It's hard to believe that this ...



will become beautiful Chinese Indigo.

       
Or that my Belinda's Dream roses will ever recover and show me these again ...




I'm really missing some of my old friends from last summer






I was so excited when the new Southern Living came in the mail today.  I saw the cover with gardenias and it was instant happiness!






Anyone who knows me well, knows that gardenias are my favorite flower.  The flowers are so beautiful and delicate.  And, there is nothing more Southern in the garden to me than the scent of a bush full of gardenia blossoms.

                            

But, I can't grow gardenias to save my life!  I've tried, but they don't like it this far South and are tricky.  But, this is my year.  I can feel it.  I'm going to conquer gardenias!

Dreaming about my garden made me think that I want to start keeping a gardening diary.  And so I am!  (Even if it's just a few blog posts here and there).  Every good project needs a plan, right? 

Oh, I'm ready to dig in the dirt! Come on in Spring!  I've been waiting for you!

1 comment:

  1. I CAN NOT wait for spring. I saw some pictures yesterday where the grass was green and it looked so great! How I miss my green lawn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my misadventures! I would love for you to drop me a line. Reading your comments is so much fun!