Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I love Mulling Spices

I'm broadcasting to you live from the quiet and comfort of my living room.  Sister is playing at a friend's house. Bitty Baby is down for her nap.  And, I'm sitting here with a cup of hot tea and Christmas tunes on the stereo.  Bliss!

I just put some mulling spices on the stove to simmer and the house is already starting to smell like Christmas!  I just threw a couple of tablespoons in about a cup of water - so easy.

I am in love with these from Williams-Sonoma!



I love natural, simple things and this is full of cinnamon chips, orange rind, whole allspice, whole cloves, cinnamon oil, and orange oil.



These mulling spices also make yummy mulled cider.  Here is the recipe from Williams-Sonoma.  A pot of this on the stove sends holiday cheer all through the house!

-------------------------------------------------
Mulled Cider
Gently simmer 1 quart apple cider and 2 TBS mulling spices for up to 20 minutes.  Remove spices and serve hot in mugs with connamon sticks, or chill and serve.

Note: Place spices in a large tea infuser or tie in a small piece of cheesecloth.
-------------------------------------------------

I didn't see the tins online, but checked and they are definitely in stores.  You can find a Williams Sonoma store locator here.

Frugalista tip:  The retail price for these is $10.50 and the spices can be stored up to a year in a cool dry place.  However, these go on clearance after Christmas.  I think I paid $2 last year and stored the tins in my chest freezer outside.  These make great teacher gifts, hostess gifts, or just a happy for a sweet friend!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I can smell it from here!! Can I come over for some tea? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't that be fun? :) I loved my "tea time" yesterday ... a rare treat for this mama!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my misadventures! I would love for you to drop me a line. Reading your comments is so much fun!