Thursday, August 6, 2009

Part 2 - Saving Big with the Grocery Game

My previous post covered the basics of the Grocery Game. So, I thought I would share about using coupons.

Each week, the Grocery Game sends out a list available detailing local grocery store specials. If there are any coupons available for additional savings, the List will match these with store sales. Coupon dates and sources are noted on the List, so they are easy to find.

The Sunday coupon insert in my area usually has a lot of ads, so sometimes I have better luck finding coupons online. The Grocery Game has a coupon section that is really helpful. Also, the Smart Source and Red Plum websites have great coupons, too!


Tip: Be sure to print coupons in color ink. Some local stores will not take them in black in white because unfortunately they can be photocopied, which makes them invalid.

Tip: If a store has a buy one get one free, you can still use two coupons - one for each item.

Tip: Only buy things you need/will use. You don't have to buy everything on the list. If pickled eggs are on special, but no one likes them, don't buy them. You'll waste money and defeat the purpose of the Game.

There are a couple of ways to organize coupons and this is the method that works the best for me. I took an old photo album and used it to organize my coupons by categories, like dairy, baby, frozen foods, etc. Each week, I throw out the expired coupons and then file new ones. Also, I print internet coupons and file these as well.



It now only takes me a few minutes to pull coupons for a particular week's specials. We don't have double coupons in my area, but I still manage to save an additional $10 - 15 a week. So, clipping is definitely worth my time :).

It took me awhile to organize coupons in the beginning, but after a few weeks, I built up a nice supply and can quickly update my file each week.

It's fun playing the Grocery Game! Let me know if you try it and how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my misadventures! I would love for you to drop me a line. Reading your comments is so much fun!